An HVLP sprayer is one of the essentials when it comes to DIY projects, and even with some professional painters. HVLP is short for high-volume, low-pressure and describes exactly what these types of sprayers do.
A normal paint sprayer uses high-pressure to push the paint out. This creates a mist of paint that can result in overspray, which wastes your paint. With an HVLP sprayer, the paint is applied at a lower pressure with the help of a regulator. The result is that it’s more efficient and easier to control. It may be a lot slower than a normal sprayer but the results are more impressive.
How to choose the best HVLP Sprayer
If you’ve decided to buy an HVLP sprayer, you will want to consider a few factors. There are several paint sprayers on the market to choose from and narrowing down which one to buy is important. Here is what you should be looking at:
- Spraying Speed. Depending on how fast you want your painting to go, you will want to select them by their speed. This will ensure that you finish your projects quickly.
- Tip. Another factor to consider is the tip of the paint sprayer. The tip of your sprayer will determine how well the paint can be sprayed onto any surface. A larger tip will allow your sprayer to release more paint. A tip will have a resulting fan width so you need to know how big this will be. Another thing to consider about the tip is what sort of pattern it creates. Depending on what sort of painting you want to do, this is important. For example, fence painting will require only narrow patterns, while larger patterns are for more large-scale projects.
- Safety. Safety is not something that a lot of people worry about when it comes to painting, but when you’re working with a sprayer, this is a concern. The big problem is that vaporized paint can be inhaled. Inhaling paint is bad for your health. In addition, if you do not have a mask, the paint can get into your eyes. Better performance means that you won’t have to deal with too much of that.
- Cost. You will also need to think about how much the HVLP sprayer costs — different brands have different prices. This mostly comes down to how each product delivers something different like additional items and features. Think about whether the price is worth it.
|HomeRight Finish Max sprayer||$$||4.1/5|
|Wagner Flexio 890 HVLP Paint Sprayer Station||$$$||4.1/5|
|Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer||$$$||4.4/5|
|Wagner’s Power Tex Texture Sprayer||$$||4.1/5|
|Central Pneumatic 47016 Gravity Feed Spray Gun||$||4.2/5|
|Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO 2 HVLP Spray System||$$$||4.7/5|
|Astro 4008 Spray Gun with Cup, Red Handle||$||4.3/5|
|Earlex HV5500 Spray Station||$$$||4.1/5|
|SPRAYIT SP-352 Gravity Feed Spray Gun||$||4.2/5|
|DEWALT DWMT70777 Gravity Feed Spray Gun HVLP||$$||4.2/5|
HomeRight C800766 Finish Max
HomeRight’s Finish Max is an interesting sprayer that will be the answer to most of your prayers. This is mostly because it is perfect for do-it-yourselfers who want to create professional-looking creations with ease.
HomeRight’s product has several interesting features and presents owners with an item that can deliver great results with ease. Considering that it rivals conventional paint sprayers in performance – that’s pretty impressive. Anyone looking into buying one will be getting their money’s worth.
- Works with a Variety of Paints. There is no need to be selective about what paints to use with this product. It can handle a wide variety of the currently available varieties. Acrylic paints will be the easiest; however, the product can also handle specialty paints and coatings for your furniture.
- Brass Spray Needle. One of the best features of the Finish Max is its brass spray needle. Made of the finest brass, it ensures that the sprayer will be performing for a long time. It also improves the performance of the sprayer.
- Adjustable Spray Nozzle. A key feature of this device is its adjustable spray nozzle. Different projects require different spray patterns. With just a twist, you can change the spray pattern to reflect how you want to make it go. You have a choice of either horizontal, vertical, or circular. Each of these patterns works well for different situations.
- Even Coating. It is important to get an even coat of paint. This means that there should be no bubbles or something similar on your paint coating. It is difficult to do this, but Finish Max manages to do so.
- Easy Use. This product is easy to use. Just point and spray is the idea behind it. The main other function is to just spin the nozzle a bit and you will get a different result. No need for extra fiddling with a compressor or something similar.
- Simple Cleaning. All you need to do is to clean out the paint container and to occasionally spray water out of it to stop any blockages. This is a lot simpler than disassembling everything and cleaning each part individually.
- Wide Variety. You have a lot of choices when it comes to painting with this device. Paints and spray patterns can be chosen quickly.
- Short Cord. It only has a short power cord. You’ll need an extension if you want to wander around with it.
This is a very good sprayer that presents you with a lot of options. This is a good choice for any starting painter.
Wagner 0529021 Flexio 890 HVLP Paint Sprayer Station
The Flexio 890 is what I’d buy if I needed to paint outdoors. This HVLP paint sprayer from Wagner presents its buyers with a powerful spray and an impressive set of options. The sprayer can be used both for general spraying and detail spraying, however, its real strength lies in general spraying.
All of it comes in a single X-Boost Power Box, where the turbine for the spray is also stored. Using the power of this sprayer, you should be able to finish large-scale painting projects with ease.
- X-Boost Power Box. The most noticeable part of the spraying this system, this is where the X-Boost air turbine is primarily stored along with most of the other parts of the system. When in action, the sprayer is connected to this with an air hose. It delivers a surprising amount of power in a small package which allows for quicker painting.
- Allows for Unthinned Paints. One of the essentials of painting is thinning paints so that they are easy to apply. However, this product can allow you to dump the paint can directly into the paint supply with no thinning. The spray will make the proper application for you.
- Adjustable Settings. This device allows you to change spray patterns, air power, and paint flow with a simple twist on the sprayer. This is a good thing since it allows for better flexibility.
- Quick Painting. The real draw of this product is that it allows you to paint large surfaces quickly. With the general spray nozzle, you can cover an eight-by-ten wall in just ten minutes. That’s a whole lot faster than painting by hand or with an ordinary spray.
- Stable Positioning. The power box allows you to have a better handle on the spray nozzle. No need to hold it with two hands or something similar since it’s too heavy. The spray would be light enough to use while the box does all the heavy work.
- Easy to Operate. This HVLP sprayer is pretty much point and spray. Nothing extra to worry about. This is especially so with its use of un-thinned paints.
- Smooth Finishes Are a Problem. This device works well with large areas. It is not so good for detail work. You might have a harder time, even though it does have a fine spray nozzle.
If you need general painting done, then this product will be a good choice of what to buy.
Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
The Magnum X5 from Graco is a bit on the expensive side, but it does manage to deliver a lot on its promises. Plus, if you’re a professional painter or remodeler, that expense is quickly recouped.
The X5 delivers quick spraying action to anyone who needs it. Just pop open a gallon can, put in the suction tube and activate it. The spray nozzle does all the work and after that, you can clean it quickly.
- Flexible Suction Tube. This is something that will attract a lot of attention. Instead of depending on a paint container or something similar where the paint is poured in and stored, the suction tube goes directly to the paint This makes it easier to continue painting. Just pop open a can and then you transfer the tube.
- Adjustable Pressure. The main body of the X5 has an adjustable pressure valve. This allows you to change how much paint will be applied by the sprayer. Depending on whether you want a thin coat or a thick one, this is important.
- This sprayer is truly airless, using stainless steel piston pumps to deliver the pressure for your paint. The paint is pushed through the feed and allows for a good even coating even without the use of thinning.
- The X5 is a pretty tiny product. Small and light, you can carry it around anywhere and can fit comfortably in the trunk of your car.
- This is a very powerful sprayer. If you want to fully paint anything, especially if it’s a wall or a large area, you should go for the X5. It beats out any other painting options around. You can fully paint one side of your house in just 30 minutes. This means you can finish your paint job in less than a day, clean-up included.
- The flexible suction tube allows you to use anything from one gallon can to a five-gallon paint container. The 75-foot sprayer house also gives you options on how far you can go with your painting.
- Suction Loss at The End. The piston pumps run out of steam when there’s not much material left in the paint can. You may need to refill it to get back the full pressure that you want or transfer to a new container.
Despite the expense, this is one of the best possible sprayers you can buy right now.
Wagner 0520000 Power Tex Texture Sprayer
Wagner’s Power Tex Texture Sprayer is the sprayer for those who want to do a final coating paint for their walls and other flat areas. With its help, you will be able to give your walls a textured finish. If you want a rough paint exterior or something just as decorative for your home, this is the sprayer that you should be buying.
- Built-in Air Turbine. No need for a hose with this sprayer — the air turbine is locked in directly to the sprayer. It makes the sprayer a bit bulky, but it does deliver a lot more power for the sprayer. Thanks to the Lock-n-Go technology, the sprayer can also be easily assembled and disassembled for cleaning.
- One-gallon Hopper. The sprayer allows for loading up of the specific pain with its gallon hopper. Just attach it on top of the sprayer and it will be ready to go. No need for any suction tube, it directly goes into the nozzle. It looks to be bulky but you can easily adjust it.
- Interchangeable Nozzle. The nozzle is replaceable and can be set to three different settings. Each will give you different texture results when the spraying was done. The nozzle itself is designed to work with a wide variety of materials to get great results.
- Solidly Powerful. If you want a good texture for your wall, this device is a good fit. The air turbine gives it a good source of power and delivers enough to ensure that your paint mixture sticks to the wall.
- Easy Operation. Everything is intuitive and easy-to-use. You can get professional results even if it is your first-time spray painting.
- For All Jobs. Whether it is a major spray job or a minor detailing, this sprayer adapts well. Just pick the right nozzle and you can use it for touch-ups to major restorations of various surfaces.
- The sprayer is a bit too big. You may find it difficult to handle the product when you’re spraying. The heavy nature of the sprayer also will make it difficult to spray ceilings and other awkward locations.
An excellent texture sprayer, it does look rather heavy. However, it has an agreeable price tag and is a great choice for texture work, especially for beginners.
Central Pneumatic 47016 High Volume Low-Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun, 20 oz.
This is a pretty cheap spray gun that is a good choice for those who already have compressors. If you already have the painting equipment, this spray gun is the best choice to modify your paint set. It also helps that this is one of the most inexpensive choices available on the market.
- Gravity Fed. Unlike normal sprayers that use suction to feed the paint into the sprayer, this sprayer gun uses gravity to get the paint into the sprayer. This reduces the need for suction from the compressor.
- Adjustable Pattern. The nozzle allows for adjustment. Depending on what sort of pattern you want, you can fiddle around until you get the pattern that you want.
- Ideal for Hobby Painting. This sprayer is not for painting walls or larger projects. This sprayer is ideal for painting small, hobby items and for your automobile detailing. If you have smaller paint jobs, the small paint amount is ideal for it.
- One of the big attractions of this product is how affordable it is. Compared to other sprayers, which are expensive because they have a whole lot of additions, you just get a sprayer for this one. This makes it a lot less expensive than its competition. You will need a compressor though.
- Very Efficient. As an HVLP sprayer, this spray gun delivers a lot when it comes to spraying paint on a surface. You can get a lot out of the 20 ounces allotted to the spray gun.
- It may not be noticeable but this sprayer allows for easy adjustment when it comes to spray patterns and volume control. This allows you to get more mileage from your paint.
- Low Paint Amount. Unfortunately, the sprayer only allows for 20 ounces. Though the HVLP nature of the spray gun allows you to get a lot of mileage out of this, you will will need to replace this a lot more often. This will also require you to clean the container out a lot more frequently. This may add more time to your painting duties.
As the cheapest product among the five, you get what you will be paying for. This is pretty bare-bones and you will also need a compressor.
When you’re looking for an HVLP sprayer, there are a lot of good choices available. However, among the five, I favor the Graco Magnum X5. This is mostly because it presents its buyers with a complete HVLP paint experience.
First, the power of the piston pumps allows for anyone who uses this product to cover a large area. This is the main reason anyone wants to use HVLP. You will be able to do in just a matter of hours what will most often take you days to do. It also allows for an efficient way to apply the paint. You can be sure that the paint is applied evenly and without any waste.
Second, the X5 is very portable and flexible. When you’re painting, you don’t want any problems when it comes to application. The X5 removes a lot of those problems by allowing you to carry around the sprayer. It also has a flexible suction tube and a 75-foot hose for the sprayer. You can leave it in one place and you can cover a wide area.
Overall, the X5 is a great choice and is well worth the price tag that has been placed on it.